News/ZFIN Project Manager Wanted
ZFIN, the zebrafish model organism database, located at the University of Oregon is looking for a highly qualified software development project manager. The person who fills this position will work with a team of computer scientists and biologists to design, develop and maintain a dynamic bioinformatics database infrastructure that includes GBrowse and InterMine deployments. The final candidate must successfully complete a criminal background check
The essential functions of this position include:
- Supervise technical staff (9 direct reports) ensuring equal growth opportunities and facilitating skills development.
- Manage project plans and schedules.
- Work with staff to establish software project development standards.
- Ensure development process consistency and compliance with standards.
- Meet regularly with the data curation manager to co-ordinate planning efforts and review progress.
- Ensure adequate support for existing and future infrastructure.
- Help team members to resolve technical and non-technical problems.
- Facilitate communication within and between teams.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related technical field. Master's preferred.
- 3+ years experience managing software development projects.
- Proven experience using formal software methodologies.
- Familiarity with relational database systems and Java programming environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, written, and verbal communication.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Knowledge of biology is a plus.
Send resume with names and phone numbers of 3 references to
Institute of Neuroscience
1254 University of Oregon
Or FAX to 541-346-4548. The UO is an AA/EO/ADA institution committed to cultural diversity. Candidates who promote and enhance diversity are strongly desired. Applications received by November 10, 2011 receive first consideration. The position will remain open until filled.